A Convenience and a Utility - postcard of footbridge over Moira river 

...the footbridge, so inconspicuous and so little noticed, was a convenience and a utility which meant an essential saving of time and effort...

[Mayor Harry Hill, 15 May1936, reported in The Ontario Intelligencer]

The town of Belleville began to expand on the west bank of the Moira river in the late 1800s, prompting the construction of a bridge for pedestrians between Front Street and Coleman Street, to improve access for residents in the west end of town to the commercial core.

A by-law was passed on October 6th, 1873, authorizing the town to raise $2,000 for the footbridge. An advertisement was placed in the Daily Intelligencer on October 8th, 1873, calling for tenders for the construction of the bridge, which had been designed by Peterborough civil engineer and architect, George W. Ranney (1821-1907).

To create a public right of way to the bridge, the Town of Belleville purchased lands from the property owners on either side of the river: Ezra and Eliza Holton and Elisha and Elizabeth Sills to the east, and Charles and Emily Coleman to the west.

Call for tenders for footbridge
Bridge damaged by ice.
Footbridge Vs. River

Early years of the footbridge, 1874-1936

Collapsed footbridge
Footbridge Vs. Humans

Recent history of the footbridge, 1936-2022